Board Member Description:
- Location: Northeast Tennessee (Remote Board Members Are Acceptable)
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Start Date: November 2023
- Term: 2-year
Appalachian Opportunity Fund (AOF) is a 501c3 financial coaching non-profit and social enterprise based in northeast Tennessee. Our mission is to build community wealth in Central Appalachia by fostering individual financial health. Since 2019, we have provided free services to more than 700 clients through our People-Centered Financial Coaching and Financial Freedom Fund programs. You can find more information about our organizational impact on our website at www.aofcoaching.net.
We are excited to be expanding our programming and partnerships, and we are seeking to onboard additional Board Members to join our team and support our mission. We are seeking passionate community members who are committed to economic justice, social innovation, community economic development, and serving underserved populations in Northeast Tennessee. While we do not require you to be a resident of our area, a commitment to the Central Appalachian region is a must for any candidate.
As the highest leadership body and fiduciary manager of AOF, the board is responsible for:
- Determining the mission of the organization and understanding its collective purpose
- Selecting, supporting, and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraising and resource development
- Approving and monitoring the organization’s programs and services
- Enhancing the organization’s public image
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
- Ensuring legal and ethical integrity
- Attend all quarterly Board Meetings (virtual or in-person)
- Attend an annual Staff/Board Shared Vision Retreat
- Provide additional support to AOF staff as needed
- Being a part of a dedicated and motivated team committed to community wealth building and the well-being of residents of Northeast Tennessee and Central Appalachia.
Desired Skills, Experience and Knowledge Areas
- Public Benefits
- Higher Education and Workforce Development
- Small Business Development
- Community Economic Development
- Financial Services
- Human Resources
- Legal/Advocacy (I.e. Estate law, Disability law, Family law, Tenants rights)
How to Apply
- Please send a resume, cover letter, and any other supporting materials that you would like to provide to email@example.com
- NOTE: We hope to onboard new Board Members to join our Board/Staff Shared Vision meeting in November.